• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Fiji forces in Malaya 1947 ?

Started by Susan McEwen, July 25, 2017, 11:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan McEwen

Hi
the scan shows a cover from Fiji to Malaya during the BMA period. Posted 9 July 1947.
I know that Fijian troops were there during the Emergency, but in 1947 ?

It is to M.T.D. V. R  Singh (Motor transport Driver Volunteer reserve perhaps ?)
G H Q (general HQ ) 2nd Echelon
at SEALF -  which is South East Asia Land Forces
at P.O. Nee Soon - which was an Army transit camp in BMA and the Emergency,

Was there a Fijian detachment there in BMA / 1947?

any  information would be appreciated.

thanks  Susan

abump

Susan,

From what I can find, SEALF was the successor to South East Asia Command, which switched from combat operations to military government in 1945. 

SEAC was disbanded in 1946, and became SEALF, which has a part in the military administration.

During the war, the territorial Fijian force was under U.S. command, and used in the Solomon Islands campaign.  They were demobilized in September 1945. 

The references I looked at in the Command and Staff College library at FT Leavenworth all state that Fijian involvement in the Emergency began in 1952.

A Rand report I looked at (Army Operations in Malaya, 1947-1960) stated that there were approx. 5,784 combat troops and 5,660 service troops in Malaya in 1948.

Based on the above, as well as the scarcity of information, I would guess that there was no organized Fijian force in Malaya at that early date, and that this V.R. Singh was more than likely a Fijian volunteer with another organization, serving as part of SEALF service troops in the BMA.

Al Bump

Susan McEwen

Hi Almyr

thanks for your reply, that explains it - I knew that Fiji sent troops to the Emergency,  but thus man was probably a volunteer at SEALF - perhaps from the Fijian military.

hope the[color=blue] book[/color] has arrived OK

best regards SUsan

sorry  somehow the word 'book' got missed

ChristchurchPS

Hi Susan

Do you think that he was part of the Indian Corps serving in SEALF - Indian XV Corps; 5th Infantry Division; 23rd Indian Inf Div. and the letter is from a relative in Fiji.
SEALF becane FARELF on 15/8/47

regards
Robert Duns

[will get back to you re the books].

Susan McEwen

Hi Robert,

my first thought -  given the Indian Community in Fiji -  was Fijian forces, but  discounted after Al's comment.
your idea - an Indian with the Indian forces at  SEALF with a relative, also Singh, in Fiji makes sense.  So  we now have that he was either  with Indian Forces or a volunteer with  other BMA forces.

I  can write the cover up  now,

many thanks to  both you and Al.

ChristchurchPS

Hi Susan

Have you checked Proud's book on the Indian Army? let me know if you don't have access to one and i'll check our copy in the Library the next time I am there.

Regards

Robert

Susan McEwen

Robert
good thought ! 
I've got  one volume, and know where I can access the others easily. 

thanks
Susan

Susan McEwen

Robert,
Proud's Indian Army Vol III  upto Aug 1947,
except chapter  7, the Malaya bit is only 1942 - 1945,

Your Indian Corps with SEALF seems likely

thanks Susan