• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Kenya Unit?

Started by abump, July 15, 2017, 07:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abump

The attached scan shows a cover has a type of machine FPO cancel I have never seen. 

It was sent 06 AUG 1953.  On the reverse is a unit cachet in violet for 2222 Company, East African Pioneers.

A likely assumption is that the unit is based somewhere in K.U.T. during the Mau Mau emergency, or possibly even at the Suez Canal, but I'd like to be sure.

If anyone can enlighten me on the unit, and especially the cancel, I would be most appreciative.

Al Bump

Chris Weddell

Hello Almyr,

I think the Field Post Office 2 machine cancellation was used at Fayid, Egypt until November 1953. Don't quote me on that. Mike Dobbs would be the most likely to know, I am sure he will see this soon and give you the right answer.

Regards

Chris.

Michael Dobbs

Almyr

Krag continuous impression machine FIELD POST OFFICE 2 was used at Fanara, Egypt (MELF / MEAF 15) - dates recorded 17 DEC 52 to 11 FEB 56.  This is confirmed by the address on the back of your cover (MELF 15).
(Source: British Forces Machine Postmarks 1940-1983 by Michael Dobbs; FPHS 1983)

2222 Company, East African Pioneer Corps was one of a number of East African and Indian Ocean pioneer units based in Egypt until the final units were disbanded in February 1956.
(Source: see article "Indian Ocean and East African Pioneers" based on Alistair Kennedy's winning competition entry in FPHS Newsletter 251 (Spring 2002))
This is available from our Journal archive held on our website - http://www.forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk/journal_archive/journals-270---255/journal-251o.pdf

Regards, Mike  ;)

abump

Chris & Mike,

Thanks so much for the quick replies and refrences.

Al