• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Is this a WW1 naval cover

Started by Tony Walker, December 01, 2019, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I came across this item in one of those half forgotten boxes most of us have I'm sure.

The question is should I include it in my WW1 British Naval Mail collection, on the strength of the London mc dated OCT 24 18D having the integral RFHMS / NCTBR mark?

The vertical rectangular PbC mark is clear No 5885 top right, No 5589 top left. The EXAMINED / BY / BASE CENSOR label is folded round the left side. No marks on the reverse.

Anyone care to speculate on the naval connection?

Cheers
Tony

Alan Baker

I have 5589 recorded from AK's material as used on a British Red Cross Society cover in January 1919 with the franking APO S35, a Stationary Office located at Dunkirk. However, I am not sure it isn't actually 5689, for which I have nothing recorded.

Similarly, I have nothing for 5885

Michael Dobbs

I have done a close up of the close and it does look like 5589.
The way it is used suggests to me that it was allocated to the Base Censor.

My theory on the use of the RFHMS machine cancellation is:
As there would be a delay (possibly of several days) in actual posting with it being diverted to the Base Censor the APS would not want to place a dated datestamp on it for fear of complaints of delays in transmission, therefore it was postmarked by the GPO with the undated RFHMS - for the very same reason ships mail receives an undated postmark.

Mike

Tony Walker

Thanks Mike - very plausible

Cheers
Tony