• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

o.h.m.s.

Started by Bill Downes, October 01, 2017, 05:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Downes

I have just purchased an envelope (small) and it has been reused with a damaged OHMS Admiralty label. On the back it has printed in capital letters ' O.H.M.S.- I.D.V.S.M. ' and after this in a box E with under it 14 followed by penalty for private use, and followed by a foreign language. Under all this space for address 1 and 2. Sorry but my scanner is up the creek !!!

Can anyone advise what the initials after OHMS stand for.

Many thanks. Bill

Michael Dobbs

Bill

I believe that IDVSM is Afrikaans for OHMS:
(IDVSM) In Diens Van Sy Majesteit = (OHMS) On His Majesty's Service

I have seen plenty of material online with OHMS-IDVSM but no explanation as to what the initials stand for.  They are all South African material - is yours South African ?

I have only seen one reference (a book written in German) which provides the full explanation of IDVSM:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=nKiaCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT180&lpg=PT180&dq=In+Diens+Van+Sy+Majesteit++on+his+majesty's+service&source=bl&ots=1ArhPvj9us&sig=5qL9LOfMh73LR1GM29KQtXXDKYg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjE57OdhtDWAhWKAxoKHVfsBIkQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=In Diens Van Sy Majesteit on his majesty's service&f=false

You can also see it in full on this cover online:
http://uir.unisa.ac.za/bitstream/handle/10500/10381/MCV6_1_Part2.pdf?sequence=4

Mike

Bill Downes

Mike, The other two box's read -
Penalty for private use to avoid payment of postage, £50 -
and the next box is -
Gebruik van hierdie onstage om posted to ontduik is strafbaar met £50 boat.
Does this help to confirm that it is South African as it would appear so.
The half torn of OHMS label has Admiralty return note but no address and the only part of the address left is to Accountant ------------Southampton and an Official black stamp with rest missing and the usual red Maritime Mail cancellation.
On the bottom of the envelope it has printed -
Use paper sparingly - Gebruik papier spaarzaam

I await your further thoughts.

Bill

Michael Dobbs

Bill

Have a look at my second web reference and once you have opened it up go to page 6 - the envelope there has the full IDVSM OHMS inscription as well as the £50 penalty inscription in two boxes as you describe.  It is therefore a South African item.  I wonder if your item if from one of the Fleet Mail Offices in South Africa (Durban or Simonstown).

Regards, Mike