• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Naval Money Letter

Started by Nick Colley, October 02, 2017, 11:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Folks, I've exhumed the attached from the backlog for writing up. The date appears to 16th May 1918 (I've inspected the d/s with a magnifying glass, and I'm sure it's 1918).

This is the only example of a Money Letter I've seen. I surmise it contained cash from the Fleet Post Office which was due to the Post Office.

I would further guess that 'Money Letter' stationary  is not necessarily purely naval ? That is the question, really. Your wisdom and thoughts will be most welcome.  :)

Thanks a lot !

Nick

Peter Harvey

Hi Nick,

Well I have never seen one, but the internet is a great research tool. The envelope looks much to early for the period and I see http://www.corbitts.com/stamp-auctions/auction150/postal_history-page1.html Corbitts had a 1905 example. So I am not sure if this stationary should even have been in use this late, but war time needs.... etc.

Certainly is an impressive item.

Pete

Nick Colley

That's splendid, Pete, many thanks for that. Your find provides some context, now.

chrs
N