• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

1940 Krag cancel

Started by Jim Etherington, September 21, 2017, 04:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Etherington

I have a Canadian cover addressed to Base Post Office Canada then rediected to APO Eng. It is back stamped with what appears to be a Krag continuous impression machine 5 wavy line cancel with a four line die head inscribed ARMY / POST OFFICE / S.C.1. / 22 DEC 40. (The S.C.1. might be S.O.1. A 'BASE APO CANADA' cancel is cutting across the right side of the what I have taken to be a C.) This cancel appears not to be recorded my Mike in his 'British Forces Machine Postmarks 1940-1983'.
Any information as to its use and location would be appreciated.
Jim Etherington

Chris Weddell

Hello Jim,

This machine cancel is in Proud's book 'The Canadian Military Posts Volume 2'. He lists 2 Krag machine cancels for FPO S.C.1 which were used by the Canadian Postal Crops Headquarters based at Acton,London,UK from June 1940 until January 1946. With the date you have given it is Proud type M1. His date given for the use of this Krag machine cancel is from the 26th of December 1940 until the 28th November 1944.

Cheers

Chris.

Jim Etherington

Hi Chris,
Many thanks for the information. I hadn't realised the Canadians were also using Krag machines.
Jim

Michael Dobbs

Jim / Chris

My apologies - I appear to have overlooked this post. 

Chris is correct in that Proud lists two Canadian Krag machines inscribed ARMY POST OFFICE S.C.1.  His M1 (KRAG) (26.12.40)-(28.11.44) and his M2 (KRAG) 17 Mar 1941 - Jan 1946.  However, I don't believe that there were two Krag machines - the M2 Krag looks hand drawn.

"The BNAPS Catalogue of Canadian Military Mail Markings - Volume 2 The World War II Era 1936-1945" compiled and edited by C D Sayles (BNAPS, April 2011) only lists one Krag for S.C.1. 

It was used, as Chris states, at the Canadian Postal Corps HQ at Acton.

Your Krag of 22 DEC 40 provides a slightly earlier date than Proud's recording.  The BNAPS Catalogue does not provide dates of use, just a detailed listing of datestamps and other cachets used.

Mike  :)

Jim Etherington

Thanks Mike for the extra info.
Jim