• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

BEF Krag machines

Started by Jim Etherington, November 21, 2017, 11:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Etherington

I have two covers with the Base / Army P.O. Krag machine cancel but without - 1 - . They are dated 7 and 8 APR 40. The literature does not appear to record this apparent omission. Can anyone provide an explanation?
Jim

Michael Dobbs

Jim

Thank you for the two scans - you have indeed made a new discovery (and one which I should have made several years ago - see why below !).

My book "British Forces Machine Postmarks 1940-1983", published by FPHS in 1983 records the earliest date for the Krag BAPO 1 as 13 APR 40.  Your illustrations for 7 and 8 APR 40 produce a new earliest recorded date for this machine.  At the same time they produce a variant without the - 1 - below the ARMY P.O. - what is surprising for me is that I have a dark photocopy of your 8 APR 40 cover (the exact same one!) with the annotation that it was provided by a W.G. Trotter and whilst I noted that it was an earlier date than what I had recorded I had [u]not[/u] noticed that it did not contain the - 1 -, so well done on spotting this and coming up with another item date a day earlier.

This is therefore a new type and yours are, so far, the only dates recorded.  I don't know the reason why it was so or for how long.  I have examples of the Krag for 14 APR 40, 30 APR 40 and 16 MAY 40 all of which clearly show the - 1 - below ARMY P.O.

Your covers would make a good one page article for the Journal with a request for any further recordings to try and narrow the period of use.  If you are agreeable are you able to scan the two covers as whole covers and email them to me please and I'll write up a short request for the Journal.

Regards and thanks, Mike  ;)

Jim Etherington

Thanks Mike.
A 'new' discovery ???
Scans sent. Look forward to the article.
Best wishes
JIm

Ingo Egerlandt

Hi Jim,
11th April is with -1- in my collection. Other ones are later.
Ingo

Michael Dobbs

Thank you Ingo - that closes the gap even more.

Mike  :)