• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Pewsey Central Flying School Upavon 1917.

Started by Chris Weddell, October 24, 2017, 11:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hello All,

Does anyone have any information or better still a cover showing the postmarks of the Central Flying School around March or April 1917. I have not be able to find anything about the postmarks used during the First World War. I have just acquired a cover and would like to confirm the postmarks before I write the cover up.

Cheers

Chris

Ian Muchall

Chris,
I have 2 examples one from 1917 and the other 1920. If I can get my head around the technology I will attach copies of them
Regards
Ian

Chris Weddell

Ian,

Thank you very much for your help and the scan.

The postmark on my cover reads "Central Flying School Upavon" and is dated for the 5th of March 1917. I thought Pewsey Central Flying School was Upavon Central Flying School but i may well be wrong ???

The other thing I liked about the cover was that it has the Royal Flying Crops crest embossed on the back.

Thank you

Chris.

Chris Weddell

A scan of the back of the cover.

Cheers

Chris

Ian Muchall

Further to earlier posts, Pewsey was never an RAF base but a town close by. The postal system there was covered by the civilian post office at Pewsey before the RAF Post Office took over. An Upavon RAFPO s/r cancel was issued around 1943 so it is most likely that the RAF Postal service took over then.

Chris Weddell

Ian,

Thank you again for your help.

Chris.

Graham Mark

Quoting from "A Short History of the RAF" 2nd ed, Air Ministry, 1936:
The Central Flying School was established on a site of 2,500 acres, two miles from the village of Pewsey ... The first course began on 17 Aug 1912.  The War Office and the Admiralty shared the costs but the WO provided the admin.  CFS was still at Upavon in Oct 1918.
Looking at a 1919 Ordnance Survey map, 1" to 1 mile, I suggest the distance south of Pewsey is nearer to 3½ miles.
I hope this helps in the write-up.
Graham