• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

RNAS Armoured Cars in WWI

Started by Tony Walker, November 12, 2017, 10:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I am writing up my RNAS Armoured Car material from WWI, and have hit a difficulty and would much appreciate some assistance.

In July 1915 resulting from a reduced effectiveness of the cars in the environment of trench warfare on the Western Front, many squadrons/units were transferred to army control, often being split into small groups, such as the 9 armoured cars which fought in German South West Africa, of which four cars then went on to fight in German South East Africa and Zanzibar.  Other cars went to Mesopotamia/Iraq and so on.  They were usually still seen as RNAS, and I have covers from these latter campaigns with RNAS origins, but not with Armoured Car cachets/cancels/censors.

I do have a few covers with Michael Gould's 4A120 mark (Censored by (triangle)) of armoured cars in Europe in 1915 and into 1916 from squadrons remaining intact for a while after the transfer.

Once the squadrons were dispersed to the army, would they have lost their individual cachets/censors and become part of the overall RNAS, so looking for armoured car marks on such material is a lost cause ?  No 15 Squadron went to Russia with Locker Lampson's Division of armoured cars and retained their specific postal identity, but he was not under army authority

Tony