• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Field Post Office 792 datestamp in the 1970s

Started by Michael Dobbs, November 20, 2017, 11:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received an enquiry regarding the location of FIELD POST OFFICE 792 - my initial response was as follows:

FPO 792 dated 16 MY 73 – this is a difficult one to determine – there are very few recordings of this datestamp in the 1970s: we have it recorded as being used at Sennelager (BFPO 16) on 23 JY 73.  However, we have it recorded used at Soltau, Germany (BFPO 37) on 15 MR 73 and again on 15 MR 75 and the Sennelager date falls between these two Soltau recordings.  These are the only three recordings we have for the early 1970s – this now make it four.  In a datestamp return of 22 Oct 1976 is was held by 1 (BR) Corps PCCU Reserve – 1st (British) Corps Postal & Courier Communications Unit RE, held as a reserve datestamp.

The only positives I can  make out of this are that it was used in Germany (British Army of the Rhine) – I cannot make a determined guess at the location for your cover as it falls closely between a recording for Soltau (15 MR 73) and Sennelager (23 JY 73).

I would be grateful for any further recordings members may have of this datestamp in the 1907s.

Thanks, Mike  :)