• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

FPO S.P.501

Started by Chris Weddell, March 07, 2018, 10:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hello All,

I have been going though some covers which have built up on my desk since before Christmas until now. I came across this one with an FPO S.P.501 dated cancel I have not come across before. Any help or information about this type of cancel and the location would be great.

Cheers

Chris .

Michael Dobbs

Chris

Chapter 17 in Proud's "History of British Army Postal Service Vol III - 1927-1963" lists and explains the SP series.
Also there is a reference to SP.501 in the article "The Fall of Singapore, February 1942" by Robin Startup (FPHS Journal 273 - Autumn 2007).

He explains that SP.501 was established in Singapore in September 1939.

I believe SP stands for Singapore.  I'm sure I have seen a further explanation somewhere as to why they start at 501 which came from Alistair Kennedy.  I feel sure it has to do with the Egypt Pre Paid series of E datestamps, but canniot be certain.

Regards, Mike  ;)

Chris Weddell

Mike,

Thanks for your help. I will look up Robin Startup's article and I will also track down my Proud which I have mislaid again !!!!

Cheers

Chris  ;D