• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

EAST AFRICAN ARMY POST OFFICE 85

Started by Ross Debenham, May 04, 2018, 05:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

Find attached envelope from EAAPO 85 dated dated 25 March, 1943. Censored using Base Censor Number II/01. APO 85 was one of the post offices used at Nairobi Headquarters subservient to APO2.  Cover has been signed in the corner PA NIXON C.F.R.C. Can any member help me with what C.F.R.C. stands for. Of interest is the fact that the cover is embossed on the rear with SOMALILAND PROTECTORATE seal. Just one more mystery with regards these post offices.

Michael Johnston

Ross, this is pure speculation but Nixon may have been a padre. C.F. is a formal designation and indicates "Chaplain to the Forces". There is no rank as chaplains are never referred to by their nominal ranks, only Padre. The fact the correspondence is addressed to a Sister Mary of the Sacred Hearts suggests R.C. may stand for "Roman Catholic". As I say, speculation. Michael

Ross Debenham

Thanks Michael, I thought about the RC for Roman Catholic, but the Chaplain of the Forces completely eluded me.