• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

WW1 France help - Army Base Post Office 1914 - Query Censor Label

Started by Peter Harvey, June 25, 2018, 05:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me asking, as I am a dealer as well as a collector! I have recently purchased a box of Ray Downing's unsorted material, which is proving most interesting. The attached pictures show a August 1914 OHMS cover used for private purposes, annotated No Stamps Available cancelled Army Base Post Office (Kennedy & Crabb type D3) the Le Harve Seine Inf, with 1d postage due and the CM 1 censor cachet. Black on pink Opened By Censor label to reverse. Questions:

1. Army Base Post Office d/r date stamp recorded used Kennedy and Crabb for a short period 1914, how common is this? (rather than Base Army Post Office)
2. Who applied the censor label to reverse, is this a very early British Army Base Censor label?

Any help appreciated.

Regards Peter