• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Help needed !!!.

Started by Chris Weddell, June 07, 2018, 08:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

A new card I cannot make heads or tails out of :'(. Not sure which office the ARMY POST OFFICE date stamp is for, as I cannot read the number or latter. I am having no luck with the name of the ship or finding out about the censor mark !!! The only thing I know is the date the card was sent from Constantinople ?? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris S-W.  ;D 

Alan Baker

I cannot find any reference to a ship named SS Austrian, but SS Austria was a steamer of 7,588 tons belonging to Lloyd Triestino in 1919. According to the list of ships, she was requisitioned by the French Government later that year, purpose not stated.

Any reason to think he was part of Allied forces involved in the Russian Civil War?

Chris Weddell

Thank you Alan. I did see this ship but was not sure. I think this could be the ship I am looking for.

I have a feeling that this card is to do with the Allied forces involved in the Russian Civil War. It was the reason i brought the card. Also the ship name S.S. Austria  does ring a bell somewhere for an involvement in Russia or that area and i cannot remember why.

Alan Baker

It begs them question as to why the French Government requisitioned the ship. As a troop transport?

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Chris

Cancel is Army Post office Y, This APO was opened in Constantinople Mid March 1919, replacing FPO H12, at this time was cancelling both Military mail and civilian mail.  This card id civilian mail, 1 penny postage paid which was the PPC rate and the boxed CBMA No 2 censor is one of  a series numbered 1 to 6 used by the military authorities censoring civilian mail. 
Possibly a crew member or just a card he obtained.

Regards

Chris

Chris Weddell

Chris,

Thank you your help. This card now makes sense to me.

Cheers

Chris  ;D