• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Gould DC circle mute mark (1).

Started by Chris Weddell, December 11, 2018, 04:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hello All,

This is one of two mute marks I cannot identify ?? Can any one help.

Thanks

Chris  :-\

Nick Colley

Hi, Chris,

Perhaps a worn/damaged state of DC10, or DC12, depending on the diameter ? Since the item is stampless, and with an American connection, we could speculate it dates from later in the war. This would be in accord with the apparent wear and tear, do you think?

chrs
N

Chris Weddell

Hi Nick,

I make the diameter around 21 mm so a DC 12. Just checking the American connection Walter B Gould was a stamp dealer. There is a good page on the web about him. I found this ' In March 1916, he moved to 292 Hammond Street, Bangor, Penobscot County, Maine.'.

There is a censor label to the back which is a Type 5 I think according to Graham Marks book 'British censorship of civil mails during World War I 1914-18'. This makes the label around 1918.

Thanks for the help Nick.

Cheers

Chris.