• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

WW2 POW Camp initial in UK

Started by msanders, August 02, 2019, 12:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msanders

Can anyone provide details on initials relating to WW2 pow post in the UK?

I would like to know what 'AG3' was. I know that it was a department of the Adjutant General's office – but what was its function?

And,

There are a couple of camps using the initials 'ESCD', e.g. 578 No.9 Camp E.S.C.D. Warwickshire and 580 No. 5 Camp E.S.C.D. Warwickshire.
I  think the D, may well be 'Depot'

Best wishes – Malcolm Sanders

Michael Dobbs

Malcolm

I am not going to be of much help with your queries but:

AG3 - is a branch of the Adjutant General's Department, I think something to do with POWs.

I have tried and tried and tried to find out what ESCD stands for but with no luck.  There is one reference in our past Journals - Newsletter No 229 (Autumn 1996) which refers to Italian POW Camps in the UK and lists Labour Camp 580, No 5 Camp, E.S.C.D. Long Marston, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwicks.  Long Marston was the home to a Royal Engineers Stores Depot and I do wonder if the E is for Engineer, S for Stores and as you said D for Depot, but what is C???  There are plenty of interet references to the Royal Engineers Stores Depot at Long Marston, built in WW2 but none come up with the initials ESCD!

When I next go to the National Archives I will try and have a look for both issues.

Mike  ;)

Nick Colley

This seems to be in one of Peter Burrows' areas of interest. I don't recall seeing him participate on the Forum, so I'll copy and paste what you two have written, and draw his attention to it in an e-mail, with an invitation to join in.

chrs
N

msanders

Thanks Nick and Mike.

If the initials were ECSD - we could get E? Command Supply Depot, but they are ESCD.