• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WW2 Naval (?) handstamp

Started by Jim Etherington, December 15, 2018, 11:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Etherington

Please can anyone shed any light on the circular handstamp with bars that has been used on this cover? According to Goldup (1950) it was possibly used in Scotland, but the censor cachet on this cover appears to indicate it was being used in the Far East, Colley (2016) noting this and its possible use on HMS Kent that was deployed in Colombo in April 1940.

Jim Etherington

Khalid Omaira

Using this type in the only left (uncancelled) stamp might indicate it is an arrival cancellation used to make sure that all stamps are cancelled.

Michael Dobbs

Hi all

A cover with this postmark appears in the latest "War Covers" listing - with the following description:

[color=maroon]1939-41 cover to 'HMS "Osprey" Portland' with tomb censor h/s. to rear. - RNAS. [HMS Osprey was an anti-submarine training establishment located at the Isle of Portland, Dorset, England. It was active between 1939 to 1941] Folded. Ref: 304-006.[/color]  Unfortunately no details as to the origin of the cover.

See http://www.warcovers.co.uk/shop/1939-41-cover-to-HMS-Osprey-Portland-with-tomb-censor-h-s.-RNAS.html

Mike  ;)

Nick Colley

I think Khalid is correct. The 1/3d rate would be right, I think, for air mail from the Far East. The RFHMS postmark was applied in the UK. A zealous postal official has noticed the uncancelled stamp, and has rectified the omission. Ii suspect it's as simple as that.

chrs
N

Jim Etherington

Many thanks for your comments. I'm inclined to agree.
Jim