• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Any idea on this cleared by censor / pw camp hg 1 ??

Started by Chris Weddell, May 17, 2019, 09:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hello All,

I have had this cover for a while and I cannot find out anything about this mark. It is dated for March 1991. Any help with this would be great.

Cheers

Chris  ;)

Michael Dobbs

Chris

My records under BFPO 700 show the following:

Rollestone Camp, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire
4/2/1991 - until further notice
Inserted PO Gazette 6/2/1991 Inland rates of postage
Inserted PO Gazette 13/2/1991 Inland Standard parcels (25 kg weight limit)
PO Gazette 3/7/1991 closed with immediate effect

Notes:

(i) Another source has the dates of operation for the BFPO as being 26/1/1991 - 6/3/1991

(ii) Used in the Gulf War for the Prisoner of War (PW) Camp established at Rolleston Camp.  A notice issued for high security PWs at the Camp stated their address was to be:

Number Rank Name
PW No
Camp No HGI
Central Mail Room
Rollestone Camp
Wiltshire
England
BFPO 700

Other online sources show: Armed soldiers of the Devonshire and Dorset Regiment stand guard on a tower and at the entrance to Rollestone Camp, Salisbury Plain, where 35 Iraqi soldiers were settling down as prisoners of war.

So, used for a short period of time for a small group of Irqui soldiers, who I believe were already in this country at the outbreak of hostilities.

Mike  :)

Chris Weddell

Mike,

Thank you for this. I can now write this one up.

Chris.