• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Army censor handstamp A 102 No. 2218

Started by Ingo Egerlandt, June 09, 2019, 08:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ingo Egerlandt

Hello members,

Who can me send a envelope with the same censor handstamp to identify another envelope. I think about, it is from Palestine but it can from France too.

Ingo

Michael Dobbs

Ingo

I've checked the records of the late Alistair Kennedy (a very large and heavy ledger) and the only record he has of 2218 is the very same cover you now own!  For censor 2219 he has recorded the figures 304 & 305 (but with no dates) which I assume to be FPO numbers.  These two FPOs in 1940-42 were in Iceland.  For censor 2217 he has the figure 2 which I take to be FPO 2 again with no date, but FPO 2 is recorded 1940-42 as Iceland.  Could your censor be from Iceland?  For censor 2220 he has "(Manchester 8/5/41)" which I take to be an arrival date, so again no clues as to location.

As for Palestine, Alistair has censor 2215 recorded from FPO 28 9 FE 41 to 26 FE 41, Australian FPOs 34 on JU 6 41 and 31 on JY 12 41.  I don't know about Australian FPOs, but FPO 28 was used in Palestine.  He has no other records for numbers immediately before and after this grouping.

Mike  :)

Ingo Egerlandt

Mike,

Allistair has got make a good work! Thank you Mike!!

I have got only listed my BEF items. Others are to less. Sorry!

Island is a good tip, because these high numbers are not in France. I am looking my material about censors over 2000.

Ingo