• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

HMS ?????

Started by Chris Weddell, June 10, 2019, 12:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hello All,

I have just got these two card in the post today and cannot make out the name of the ship. The date is too early for HMS Barham. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Nick Colley

It's not the battleship Barham, but I think it's very probably the Barham before that, a 3rd class cruiser launched in 1889, and sold off February 1914, 10 months or so before the Barham you're thinking of was launched.

Frank S will, I'm sure, correct me if my reading of Colledge is wrong.  ;)

chrs
N

Chris Weddell

Nick,

I do not have Colledge. Could you let me know the tittle of the book or books.

Best regards

Christopher

Nick Colley

Chris, it's:

Ships of the Royal Navy, by J.J.Colledge. I have the 1987 edition, ISBN 0-947898-75-1, published by Greenhill Books.

chrs
N

Peter Harvey

Chris,

A quick google search for Syd Jackson HMS Barham came up with this in an old medals auction listing.

Africa General Service Medal

Production Date: 1908 - 1910
Production Period: Edwardian (1901-1914)
Object Name: Medal
ObjectNumber: WASMG : 1993.0083.6
Summary: The Africa General Service Medal with Somaliland 1908 - 1910 bar, awarded to Sydney Jackson of the HMS Barham.
Description: Obverse: King Edward VII in uniform, facing left, and the legend "EDWARDVS VII REX IMPERATOR"; Reverse: A standing figure of Britannia holding a palm branch and scroll in her extended left hand, gesturing right towards the sun on the horizon. She is holding and a trident in her right hand, and behind her stands a lion. In the exergue is the word "AFRICA". The ribbon is yellow, edged with thick black stripes with two green stripes towards the centre. This medal was issued to British and Colonian Forces for Campaigns on the African Continent. It is the longest running British service medal, and was in used for 54 years from 1902 until 1956.

Chris Weddell

Peter,

Thanks. I have found the medal listing. He must have been part of the 1908-1910 Naval Blockade.

I have not as yet found my man but this will help as i will try and pull his Medal Index Card.

Thanks

Chris

Colin Tabeart

The 1987 version of Colledge quoted by Nick is excellent (and the one I have) but there is a later edition which is presumably even better, so if you are going to buy a copy (essential if studying RN mail) suggest Google the later version. I have a vague remembrance that Ben Warlow had something to do with it, but don't quote me!
Colin

Chris Weddell

Colin,

Thank you for the suggestion. I am looking for the later version and think I have found one.

Chris.