• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

FPO39

Started by Alan Baker, August 15, 2019, 08:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

Another from AK material

This cover is addressed to Peshawar and bears censor 4/814. The reverse has a receiving stamp dated March 1916 and a registration label FPO39.

This suggests that the cover originated from 39 Division in Egypt, Proud notes that in Feb 16, his brigade moved to "Mespot" (presumably Mesopotamia) and used the Indian Army Postal Service

Daniel notes against 814 "38 Horse, MHW, 2/1 IC". I am assuming this is 38th King George's Own Central India Horse, part of the 5th (Mhow) Cavalry Brigade in the 2nd Indian Cavalry Division.

However, I have not been able to find any direct connection between this and 39 Division. Any thoughts?

Alan Baker

This time with scan!

Peter Harvey

Alan,

Proud has Indian FPO 39 in France (Bde's with the Cavalry Divs) from March 15 through to February 18 prior to arriving in Egypt in April 1918.

The Registration label is certainly Indian FPO type and along with the 4/814 would put this on the Western Front..... or am I missing something?

Peter

Chris Grimshaw

Alan / Peter

My thoughts as well,  my understanding is Type 4 censor was only used on the Western Front .  There are at least one exception though, see my article on use of Type 4 is Salonika. 

Chris