• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Meaning of IAFF and the Blue Triangle ?

Started by Nick Colley, January 22, 2019, 07:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Folks, I've received the following enquiry by e-mail relating to the blue triangle air letters (example attached (I hope)):

[color=brown]'can you help me with the "IAFF" that is printed below the blue triangle on the Air Letter? I cannot find it in MOD or other lists on the web.

Do you know why the Blue Triangle was significant?'[/color]

I confess that we see them so frequently that I've never given it a thought, but at the back of my mind, I recall that the blue triangle was to indicate free postage ? I could, of course, be quite mistaken about that (false memory syndrome ?), so feel free to correct me.

chrs
N

Ross Debenham

Hi Nick, I could be totally incorrect but I always thought the I.A.F.F. denoted "Indian Army Field Force", as for the blue triangle I am at a loss.
Ross

Nick Guy

When the "Green Envelope" system was extended to Air Mail Letter Cards, the letter cards were distinguished by a blue triangle printed on the bottom left hand corner of the card, and a certificate printed in blue on the back of the card (see, for example, Lee: British Forces Air Mail Letter Cards & Air Letters).  Lee illustrates examples with and without stamps.

Nick Guy

dtrapnell

Thanks for this interesting question, Nick.
I have today looked at all the air letters I could find illustrated on google as a way of assessing the incidence and possible significance of the blue triangle.
I found that every one with a blue triangle was from a member of the armed forces. Nearly all the blue triangles had a "hollow" (uncoloured) centre. So you are right in thinking that the blue traingle indicates use by the armed forces, I suggest, Nick.
Only one pair of "blue triangle" air letters is shown where the words as well as the symbols are printed on the letter front, as in your example.  Only these two have a "solid" blue triangle with "I.A.F.F." printed below it.
So would you agree that Ross could be right and that this form of Air Letter was for use by Indian troops?
David Trapnell

Michael Dobbs

Nick (Colley)

To amplify what Nick (Guy) has said about the blue triangle - The following has been taken from "West African Forces Air Mail Letter Cards, Air Letters & Honour Envelopes 1942-1945" by John Daynes and Nigel Lutwyche; published 2006 jointly by WASC & FPHS

"Lee stated that these were introduced throughout the various Commands towards the end of 1943, the precise date varying with the different Commands.  Privilege air letters had a solid or hollow triangle on the front and an 'Honour Certificate' on the back.  The letter 'A' was added to the end of the imprint in the lower right corner to denote that it was a privilege air letter.

Privilege air letters were not to be censored at unit level but could be censored by a base censor (as with the green honour envelopes).  According to Lee, a privilege air letter was to be issued in place of one of the four air letters issued to each serviceman every four weeks.  Lee had no information as to any instructions passed to the West Africa Command."

I have seen something on the letters I.A.F.F. but cannot think where - I'm sure its not in past Journals as I have had a quick look.  I would suggest you look at Lee (we should have one in the Society Library) as that will provide definitive answers.

Mike  :)

Ian Muchall

My belief is that the IAFF - 1083 (triangle) is a reference to the actual Air Letter form. I have other AMLCs from India with a Reference IAFF -1083 but no the Blue Triangle issue. All Military forms have a Reference No - Green Envelopes for example are AFW 3078. (Army Form War?). It seems that the universal Form No for AMLCs is (Form) 1083.
I would suggest that IAFF is India Armed Forces Form, but may of course be totally wrong.
You will also note on some 'Green Envelopes' at the bottom are the print details including date and number printed.

Ross Debenham

I have one of these envelopes that was used by a WREN I believe based in Mombasa that has on the rear the following:
M.I.P. - 3289-2-B-G 1781-13-10-44-20,00,000 (not a typing error) which is no doubt the printers imprint. Date of postage was approximately 23-1-45 and the East African "dumb" post marker was used. So we only have to figure who and where the printer M-I-P was and we may be able to make some headway.

msanders

Re: MIP

Do not know if this will help - but a large manufacturer of official/registered/prepaid envelopes, lettercards etc at the time was McCorquodale & Co. Ltd.

20,000, 000 print run - and official stationery - not many companies could do that.  If it is McCorquodale & Co. Ltd  though I can't see where "I.P." comes in. The nearest I get is L(l)etter Press.