• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

52 Divisional Train in Salonika

Started by Alan Baker, August 11, 2019, 10:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

Peter Harvey has recently listed a postcard from Salonika bearing the franking FPO T52 and the censor mark 2/3054. The date was 10th November 1915. There was a similar note in AK's indices for 22nd November

According to Proud, 52 Div Train arrived in Salonika in October 1915 but was redesignated T10, presumably becoming part of the 10th (Irish) Division. Proud gives a date for this as November 1915.

However, Daniel notes this censor as from 119 D.U.S. in Salonika. Does this acronym stand for Depot Unit of Supply? If so, I have been unable to find any connection between this unit and the 10th Division.

Any ideas (Chris)?

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Alan

I'm currently awaiting the card Peter listed,  Royal Mail on a "Go Slow"

FPO T 52 first acted as a Base office serving 10th & 22nd Divisions prior to the arrival and opening of BAPO X

I have two further examples from November 1915 when open at Salonika.

The use of Censer Type 2 (square) is recorded used by 10th Division until January 16, There were the Censor Hand stamps they brought with them from the Dardanelles in October 15.

A small number of Type 2 in the 3054 and close range are recorded November 15 to January 16 when replaced by Type 3. Note Divisions arriving from the Western Front brought with them the Type 3 Hand stamps they'd been issued with.

I have been trying to work out who was using these group of Hand-stamps but without much success.  Likely to be 4th Canadian Hospital, 5th Canadian possibly and the 3rd New Zealand Hospital plus other smaller units from Egypt? Planning a future article on this subject.

If 2/3054 allocation is correct this would tie in with a Base Office function.

A major study similar to the Salonika Registered study I have on the the web site is in the pipeline, this is planned to cover 1915/16 at present showing the landings and subsequent build up. 

Chris

Alan Baker

Chris

I wondered if the card might be heading in your direction

I note what you say regarding the T52 stamp, but any ideas about 119 DUS, which Daniel noted for 2/3054?

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Alan

Will check my examples of 2/3054 to see if I can gleam anything from them.  It seems mostly P Card material have survived from this period.

Chris

Peter Harvey

Hi Alan,

No answers I am sorry. 119 DUS? - 119 ASC was serving on the Western Front at this time as part of the 12th (Eastern) Div, my thoughts were any supply column would have been with the ASC, I am not sure I have seen DUS as an abbreviation before.

Peter