• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

2 Squadron SAAF in Korea, and USAPO 970

Started by Nick Colley, October 13, 2019, 05:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Folks, attached is an  item from 2 Sdn SAAF in Korea, 1952. The return address is (US)APO 970. A few mins with Mr.Google tells me that 2 Sqn spent much of the later part of the war at an air base near Chinhae, which is in the south east corner of the peninsular. However, all I can learn about APO 970 (no thanks to the internet) is that it was in Korea at this time.

Presumably it wasn't far from Chinhae, but it would be nice to know precisely where. Does anybody know?

Many thanks!

chrs
Nick

Peter Harvey

Hi Nick,

APO 970 was located in Seoul from 1950 through to 1965, with free mail as your cover introduced into the combat zone in July 1950. Although APO 970 was used extensively as a routing address, with mail then forwarded onto Units. You often see covers with a different APO number cancellation and then the return address APO 970, especially where units were not static.

Pete

Nick Colley

Ah, ok, thanks, Pete. Yes, I can see that would work.

chrs
N