• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

surgeon William Clegg RN

Started by Tony Walker, November 05, 2019, 04:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

Like several other members. I have acquired some of Alistair's material from the recent auction.

This included three PPC items censored by William Clegg, Surgeon RN, on (so the write up states) RNAS Armoured Car mail, when these squadrons were serving on the Western Front earlier in the war between late 1914 through to 1916 when they went to Army control, well most of them did.

I have found just one Surgeon William (Little) Clegg in the navy, where he was noted as being in charge of the stretcher parties on the upper deck of Vindictive and for which he received the D.S.C., Gazette date 19.07.1918.

Can anyone help me with confirming he was the censor on my mail, dated between May and September 1915, cds S.10 with red triangular 'Passed by Censor' marks?  These being from Dunkirk and Calais which both feature on the picture side of the PPC's  How did he get onto Vindictive if it is he? etc

Cheers
Tony

Alan Baker

Tony Walker

Hi Alan

Here they are (2), Forum couldn't take all 3 in one go

Top is picture of Dunkirk
Bottom is of Dunkirk

Third one to follow

Tony

Tony Walker

Alan Baker

Having looked at the signatures, this is not William Clegg but William Little Glegg. I have found three entries for him on FWR, one noting his temporary appointment as a surgeon and suggesting he was posted to HMS Satellite (a drill ship for RNR based at N Shields). I think this is a late posting (1919?)

Another from 1918 states he was MO on Russian Armoured Cars

I have also found a number of entries on Ancestry, one from the Navy List of April 1915, showing him as part of a Special Service unit for the Naval Air Service. Interestingly, in the same list, there appears the name of Lt Cdr Oliver Locker Lampson, about whom I seem to have read a few entries on the forum and elsewhere....

In the August 1917, Glegg is listed as serving in "Armoured Cars", but not where. He was awarded the DSC and made a Chevallier of the Order of the Crown of Romania for his service as MO of the Russian Armoured Cars

It appears he was born in 1887 in Edinburgh and died in 1956. One of his brothers was killed in France in 1916

The censor marks and frankings however all relate to the Western Front. S10 was located at Dunkirk and S14 at Calais, according to Proud). Daniel does not list any details for CM3/1063 or 1327, although I have seen both in Alistair's material with APO4 (BAPO4) at Calais

Tony Walker

Alan

That is extremely helpful, thank you for your time and trouble

Cheers
Tony

Peter Harvey

Did I not have any earlier posting on the forum about Surgeon Glegg, I think Frank Schofield corrected my assumption it was Clegg at that point. You should be able to look back at that message and the discussion.

Alan Baker

I thought the name sounded familiar

Tony Walker

I wonder whether back in time Clegg was miss-spelled Glegg and it stuck, or vice versa of course

Relieved to see I'm not the only one who got it wrong!

Tony

Tony Walker

Peter - you shared the confusion over Clegg / Glegg

See the attachment which maybe suggests we were not so careless after all !
This was in a long piece about the Zeebrugge Raid and the role of HMS Vindictive - Glegg certainly got around.  Several searches on Google said 'Did you mean Surgeon William Clegg' so they are equally confused

Tony

Tony Walker

Re. last post

Forum wouldn't accept attachment which is odd as it is a simple Word file

Essentially it was a note confirming his (Glegg's) name is sometimes given as Clegg in various sources.  Glegg is however supported by notifications in the London Gazette by Staff Surgeon McCutcheon concerning the Zeebrugge raid

Tony

Michael Dobbs

Tony

It is odd, as the Forum will accept Word documents as I have just carried out a test by creating a new post and attaching a Word document.  This worked (post now deleted).

I can only think either the document was too large (maximum total size 1000KB) or else you did something wrong!
Have another go - 'modify' your post [see the word 'modify' at the top right of your post] and attach a document to it.

Mike