• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

WW2 Naval Control Liverpool RNL 100 Variations

Started by Peter Harvey, November 09, 2019, 10:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

I have attached picture of two cover (came in the post yesterday) showing the label RNL 100, I have seen these labels before, clearly know they are recorded/scarce but have never handled any, I am not sure how many are recorded.

You will note from the first picture that there are variations in the print/font, Nick Colley have these been recorded?

The top cover is clearly the same as RNL100 as shown in the 2nd Edition WW2 Censor marks, with the imprint M3499 540 724. The second cover (Glasgow postmark) appears complete without any printer marking with the font of LIVERPOOL different.

Does anyone else have copies for comparison?

Peter

Nick Colley

Greetings, Mr.H.

Thanks for that. No, that second label has not been brought to my attention. Clearly it's a variation of RNL100, but seems to be sufficiently different to merit its own designation. I've put your post (and the attachments) into the 'Daynes New' folder.

chrs
N

Reg Gleave

These two marks are illustrated in UK Censorship WWII, Chapter 4, page 163. There is said to be a third variety but I have never seen it.
I have assumed that the variety without printers imprint is Daynes RNL 101.
Most of the few I know of are associated with the Anglo Saxon Petroleum Company's tanker ANADARA when under repair in the south west
Reg Gleave