• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

HMHS Herefordshire WWI

Started by Tony Walker, September 23, 2019, 09:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

My attempts to find details about the service history of this Hospital Ship have proved to be anything but fruitful :

Her period of service was from 25.7.16 to 1.1.18, with a capacity of 254 patients.  That's it !

I have a German PPC of a semi-derelict building in German East Africa, and on the message side a full but faint double oval cachet H.M.HOSPITAL SHIP / 15 JUL 1917 / HEREFORDSHIRE  addressed to a Miss Rolfe at Chevely near Newmarket.  The message is family orientated.  It has not been censored.

Any further details would be welcome

Cheers
Tony

Peter High

Details about HMHS Herefordshire do seem sparse. I have two postcards written in her; 14 Sep 16 at Alexandria & 32 Oct 16 (yes 32; probably should be 22) at Salonika. Both have double oval cachet.

Other details I have gleaned: Built 1905 for Bibby Line. 7,200tons. Requisitioned at beginning of war as troopship; during this time used straight-line named cachet. This was used in the early days as a hospital ship. Hosp ship from 25 Jul 16 to 1(?) Jan 18. 380 beds.

Firebrace states Jan 17 : sailed between Salonika & Malta. 4 Feb 18 attacked by submarine in the Mediterranean; torpedo missed. Sep 16: sailed between Alexandria, Salonika, Malta & England until Dec.

Gould lists cachet on p198 (1st vol)

That's all I have I'm afraid. 

Regards, Peter

Tony Walker

Thanks Peter, and for the email

Cheers
Tony