• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Lt Col L.E. Pilkington

Started by Chris Grimshaw, January 28, 2020, 05:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Good Morning Team

Looking for information on the above officer,  Regiment is 1/5th Southern Lancashire Fusiliers.  WW1 of course.

Background,

After Christmas 91 year old  Father who now resides in a care home  when asked what he'd like for his birthday on 3rd Feb responded with  a request for a WW1 Trench compass.  Dutiful son subsequently found a good one on ebay. 

Inscribed with makers name, contained in its original leather case.  Case and compass are both inscribed L.E.P 1/5th SLR.  I'm happy he's the chap.

Looking of any information ex Army Lists etc which anyone can help me with.  Would like to put together a little briefing sheet with his details. 

Chris

Alan Baker

I have found him on FWR.

Lt Col Lionel Edward Pilkington, CMG, 1st Battalion, South Lancashire Regiment.

Also, from Googlything, B 02/12/1873, d 09/06/1952. 7 siblings. His father Richard was Mayor of Bolton, 1899 - 1906

More to follow when back from a walk with the dogs!

Alan Baker

Belay previous comment. It appears unlikely he was part of the 1st Battalion, as they spent the whole war in India. Probably 1/5th Battalion as per the inscription

His father, as well as being Mayor of Bolton, was also prior to that Mayor of St Helens and MP for Newton for a time. He was one of the founders of Pilkington Brothers, famous glass makers, originally from St Helens. I have also found a link suggesting descent from King Edward III (not sure which side of the bedsheets though!)

By way of personal interest, but probably not part of your briefing, another member of the family lived very close to where I do in Oxfordshire and the family trust owned virtually the whole of Sunningwell where I live. Indeed they still do and we actually bought a piece of land adjacent to our house from them. Small world!

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

Appreciated.  Can anyone add anything from the Army Lists?

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

Lt/Col L.E. Pilkington has two entries in the January 1918 Army List

1 listed under Territoral Force Reserve under South Lancs Regt
Also noted Hon Lieut 10th July 1901

2. Listed as Militery Member Territoral Force Assoc.

Frank

Chris Grimshaw