• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

WWII unlisted boxed Naval censor mark on plain brown paper censor tape?

Started by Chris Weddell, December 30, 2019, 09:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hello All,

I just got this cover I brought from the US today. I have not been able to find this mark used on censor tape or even just the mark inworld War Two Censor Marks (2nd edition) or have I just missed it.

There is nothing on the verso of the cover.

Any help would be great.

Chris  :-\

Frank Schofield

Chris Weddell

Frank,

I do not think it is a US mark and the US censors always used a printed tape or label when resealing. I will ask my friends at the USCS.

The mark itself looks like a boxed version of N1000 which is also tied to plain brown tape, see page 148 WW2 Censor Marks (2nd edition).

Chris

Chris Weddell

Frank,

I have had a reply already from the USCS and the first view is differently not a US censor and the US never used plain brown tape. I will let you know if I get any more and what they are.

Chris

Nick Colley

Presumably there's nothing of any use on the back of the cover?

chrs
N

Chris Weddell

Nick,

There is nothing on the back cover.

Cheers

Chris

Peter Harvey

Chris,

Possibly an Indian connection, would fit with the brown tape?

Pete

Chris Weddell

Peter,

I think you may be on the right track. I have gone though some of my Indian censored items and they did seem to use this type of brown tape often tied with some sort of censor mark.

Cheers

Chris