• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

RND at Mudros

Started by Tony Walker, March 02, 2020, 12:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

As you will realise I'm writing up some Royal Naval Division items from WWI

The attached Field Service Post Card has a FIELD POST OFFICE / 12 JA 16 / N.L.I. cancel.  It is addressed to a Mrs Hyder, 162 Holland Road in Kensington.  On the reverse (not scanned), Harold has dated the card 11 January 1916.

He records :
  'I am quite well'
  'I am being sent down to the base'
  'Letter follows at first opportunity'

It's fairly obvious he is writing to his wife.

i am having great difficulty tying down where he was at this time.
There is a note with the card saying 1 Royal Naval Bde., RND at Mudros.  Recorded by K&C but unrecorded Proud, this location. Another note says Hood Bn. but where that came from I have no idea.  Hyder seems to have been in the London Regiment (as with Seyd in my earlier post), so was he allocated to the RNBde. also?

The more I delve the more confused I get.  Help needed please!

Cheers
Tony

Peter Harvey

Hi Tony,

I agree with what Proud has - FPO 188 using FPO NL1 - your card extends this date range - located at Cape Helles with 1 RN Bde, RN Div shortly before (around the time) they moved (assume through Egypt) to the Western Front. My history books tell me that they were with the ANZACs from April 1915 and the moved to Helles where they remained for the rest of the Gallipoli campaign.

Peter

Alan Baker

Are we sure the name isn't Hyde? I have found a Harold Hyde on FWR who served with the RND, although the only record I have found so far is that in September 1915 he was treated for Gonorrhoea!

Chris Grimshaw

A little slow coming in on this one,  I'd be happy to say, NL1 was located at Mudros at this time, 

Tony, you refer to an earlier post where you mention a Synd London Regiment.  Please elaborate

A quick search throws up the following,

Royal Naval Division War Diary Jan. to May 1916
(Transcribed from original documents held at the PRO, Ref: ADM/3084)
JANUARY 1916

Gallipoli 8th ...movement, & was particularly quiet. The last parties to leave the trenches did so at 23.45. Only one casualty was sustained, a slight one. On the Beach there was the usual sporadic shelling, but nearly all fell into the water. The timetable was well kept throughout, & the last troops embarked in HMS Grasshopper shortly after 03.00 on 9th Jan. In the days immediately preceding the final evacuation some 3.400 all ranks of the Div. were evacuated.

Mudros 9th The greater part of the Division arrived at Mudros during the day, & went into camp at Mudros West.

10th Details who had been sent to Imbros arrived during the day. Orders received RND no longer formed part of 8th Corps. 2/2nd & 2/4th London Regiments ordered to join 29th Div. when transports available.

11th - 12th Units refitting.

13th Staff officers sent to Imbros to make arrangements for its occupation. ANSON Bn. beat HLI of 52nd Div. in final of Dardanelles Cup presented by Lieut. General Sir Francis DAVIES KCB.

14th Violent Storm & very cold. Conditions in Camp very uncomfortable.

15th Storm continued, roads very bad. 40 officers proceeded on leave in HMT OLYMPIC.

16th Very Stormy & cold. Staff officers proceeded to IMBROS to make arrangements for relief. Orders received to hold a Brigade in readiness for operations at STAVROS.

17th Presentation of French Honours by General BReuLARD.

18th Staff officers proceeded to TENEDOS to make arrangements for relief.

19th Weather very cold. Staff officers proceeded to STAVROS to make arrangements in case the Brigade held in readiness should be required.

20th 200 details Hawke Bn., Engineers & medical proceeded to Imbros to take over huts - Hood BN. (less 2 companies) & medical & supply proceeded to Tenedos to relieve 1/2 BN Essex Garrison Regiment.