• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

WW1 Mail / Document satchel

Started by Michael Dobbs, March 07, 2020, 11:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following enquiry:

[color=maroon]Hello I wonder if you can help me please. I am from Scotland, of Welsh descent and live in France. My grandfather Rowland Ayling from Cardiff 1886 -1950 was a driver in the 8th Division RASC. He died before I was born. I have been researching my family history and a family member sent me an item which belonged to him. It is a tin with a leather strap stamped [b]TE Bladon & Sons Birmingham 1916[/b]. I am told Grandad used it to deliver mail and documents during the war. I have searched on line but can find no record/photo of a similar item. I can send a photo. I wondered if you would know anything about this item which family members believe was military issue. Hope you don't mind me contacting you. [/color]

Has anyone come across this sort of item before, or can you tell me anything  about the manufactureer?  I have suggested they also try the Royal Engineers Museum and the Royal Logistic Corps Museum which they are going to do.

Thanks, Mike  :)

Alan Baker

Thomas Bladon see up business in 1888 in Birmingham and the Ltd Company was incorporated in 1916 as "brass founders, stampers, piercers, tinsmiths, lamp makers, oil can manufacturers, motor accessory makers, casters, spinners, electrical engineers and munition workers" (Bladon Family History on Google). The company ceased trading in 1990.

Michael Dobbs