• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

British Forces in Muscat 1913 to 1920

Started by Michael Dobbs, March 08, 2020, 05:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following enquiry from a member:

[color=maroon]I have a question about the use of "On Active Service" due to the following mail from Muscat. As a reference the first attack on Muscat happened on 10/11 January 1915.

I have a cover sent from Muscat (without Muscat datestamp) that arrived at Truro Cornwall on 16.01.1915 so it would have left Muscat late 1914. This is the earliest troop linked cover that I have recorded - in spite of them being present at Muscat since July 1913.

The cover was endorsed "On Active Service / Stamps Not Available" and has had a Muscat horse shoe "Postage Due / One Anna" cachet applied to it. Was the postal rate for forces 0.5a then? It is the only time that I have recorded postage due on an "On Active Service" cover from this campaign with all other covers recorded being unfranked.

What is the norm with regards to paying "On Active Service" letters?

When does a conflict get the status "On Active Service"?

The reason for the second question is that since the first attack on Muscat didnt happen until 10/11 January 1915 does that mean that "Active Service" wasn't called yet? [/color]

I have responded as follows (as stated I am open to correction if I have given duff inbformation!):

[color=blue]Your question is not an easy one to answer - mainly because it is outside my collecting area of interest!  You have not attached a copy of the cover concerned (unless I have missed it).  Is there any indication that the postage due applied was collected in the UK?

Generally speaking (and I will be open to correction here) free postage from British forces is not automatic and has to be agreed by the Government (presumably instigated by the War Office or Admiralty) and then agreed with the General Post Office .  It is highly likely that British forces world-wide were given free postage back to the UK at different times (i.e. on the Western Front before other campaigns).  It would need someone to research Post Office records at The Postal Museum to see if there is any notification regarding the application of free postage from troops on active service back home.

The use of the term "On Active Service" is merely a helpful indication to the GPO that such mail is entitled to free postage and is usually accompanied by either a military post office datestamp or a unit datestamp to confirm that the writer is entitled to free postage.[/color]

Thanks, Mike  ;)