• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Cover of The Day - 23 March 2020

Started by Peter Harvey, March 23, 2020, 07:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

[b]Thank you[/b] to all the members that have so far listed a 'Cover of The Day' some interesting items and all worth showing these to others. As that listing was very long, I though I would start again and depending on the support this gets I will start a new discussion topic every day, until we get back to whatever normal is !!

So, my 'Cover of the Day' Nothing that unusual until you do the research.

Air Mail franked at the 1s 3d rate and posted to Philadelphia U.S.A with this senders details to reverse, writing from his parents home:
c/o 66 Brentham Way
Ealing London

Opened and resealed by the UK Postal Censor, due to the overseas destination and RAF Officers address, postmark is obliterated by the censor. Has the UK PC 90 label EXAMINER 915.

Squadron Leader K J Lawson RAF Volunteer Reserve was Lancaster Bomber aircrew. He was subsequently killed in a action when his Lancaster crashed whilst operating over Germany in 1945.

I have attached details from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to the listing.

Nick Colley

Actually, Pete, I reckon that item is a bit better than you think  :)

Wing Cmdr K.J. Lawson, DSO & Bar, DFC had already done at least 92 operational sorties. Quite a chap, really.

Anyway take off was 15h54 from Gransden Lodge on a mission to Nurnberg. They crashed at Rohrau, 3kms ENE of the town of Nufringen. Those who died are in Durnbach War Cemetery.

His crew were:
Sgt S.Rhodes (POW)
P/O S.H.Fitzhenry RAAF (killed)
S/L N.Crawford, DFC, RCAF (killed)
F/L E.C.Duke, DFM (killed)
F/O G.E.Geeves DFC, RCAF (killed)
WO1 D.G.Plyley RCAF (POW)

F/L Duke had served in India with 31 Squadron. Details of his DFM were published on 21/11/41. Presumably he was an NCO when he won his DFM.

chrs
N

Nick Colley

I should have said what my source is:

Royal Air Force Bomber Command Losses of the Second World War (1945 volume), by W.R.Chorley, published by Midland Publishing, 1998.

N

Chris Weddell

My cover of the day.

Like an earlier post from Nick just another ordinary Naval cover. Then you turn it over !!! This one is interesting and would have been posted around or just after the period this cover relates to. I will not write anymore about the cover as the back tells the story.

Peter Harvey

Well stunning cover Chris, nice to have the family note, th comment you made on your WW1 card and 'Real History' coms to mind. Sometimes I feel as collectors we concentrate to much on neat and clean with clear postmarks etc, where often th history is found elsewhere.