• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Cover of The Day 26 March 2020

Started by Peter Harvey, March 26, 2020, 06:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

My cover of the day, would be great to get some others engaged today..... I can find plenty of nice items but would rather others listed and shared their collection. I have had several collectors tell me in the last few days that thy have been spending significant time on their hobby, so lets see your cover of the day?

My my cover of the day is a 1d stationary card cancelled E.C.1 and sent to New Bond Street London, with the red British Army (CM1) PASSED BY CENSOR No.2 cachet. Interesting cancellation, but given the sender I am assuming this was either carried back to England from France or sent 'by bag' with other documents.

To reverse 12 Nov 1914 (this would be receipt in London), with a brief note signed C.J. Briggs Br General 1st Cavalry Brigade.

Charles James Briggs was a career military man, born into a military family. He served in World War I initially as commander of 1st Cavalry Brigade in the British Expeditionary Force, where he took part in the action at Nery. He commanded 3rd Cavalry Division from May 1915, the 28th Division in Salonika from October 1915 and XVI Corps (later redesignated as the British Salonika Army) from May 1916.

Later in the war he was chief of the British Military Mission to South Russia, from February to June 1919 before retiring in February 1922.

Chris Grimshaw

Chris Weddell

My cover of the day is a bit tatty as it was most likely carried around in a pocket.

The cover was posted in Egypt and examined by the censor who resealed it with a "MARTIAL LAW/ OPENED BY CENSOR" paper label. What I love about the cover is that it was addressed to Ahmid who was the local shoemaker at the Royal Engineers Camp near Cairo.

Nick Colley

Yes, that has a certain something, doesn't it Chris, that address?  ;D That item certainly has a lot of soul, eh? (Sorry.. ::).)

Anyway, here's mine for today: a naval tombstone censor combined with the RAFPO 004 at Lagens in the Azores. There were two naval establishments on the Azores (why TWO??), one at Lagens (HMS Lusitania), and one on (at?) Fayal (HMS Lusitania II). Presumably this item is from the former.

Now, the day before yesterday, I promised something more flamboyant than that 'boring (ish?)' Korean conflict item, which I failed to deliver, so I'll claim two slots today, and put up another cover in a minute.

chrs
N

Nick Colley

This is what would have been posted yesterday.

Air mail item to the US, RN origin, from Gibraltar in December 1943.

I would be interested to hear any thoughts about the origin of the '[color=blue]APPROVED[/color]' h/s and the boxed [color=red]C.G.[/color]. Also, the franking to 1/4d seems a bit low for Transatlantic air mail - I thought it was nearer 2/-?

chrs
N

Alan Baker

Have you checked the perfs on the stamps? 3d Perf 14 is worth more than average

Peter Harvey

Hi Nick,

Never seen the Approved or the CG cachet, I wonders if the C.G. was a collectors mark (initials), you often see these on the back of postcard (not often on covers). I had a look back at some old Gibraltar notes, but nothing on Approved, might be worth asking the Gibraltar Society.

Peter

Michael Dobbs

I think I'm just in time for 26 March!

This is my cover of the day - another "boring (ish)" Korean conflict item - boring I don't think so, I very much enjoyed your cover Nick!

My cover is also a multi-nation item - it is an airmail cover - from a South African with 2 SA Air Force Squadron, postmarked AUST ARMY PO 214 dated 28 DE 51 with a British 2½d stamp!

AUST ARMY PO 214 recorded as being in Korea June 1950 to 30 November 1952, no precise location given.

At this time 2 SAAF Sqn was located at Chinhae (Airfield K.10) on the southern coast of South Korea, with an advanced element at Airfield K.41 near Wonju.

Mike

Chris Grimshaw

Nice Item Mike,

I can't recollect many articles published in the Korean conflict,  any offers of a suitable article for the journal?

Chris

Frank Schofield

Nick

Re Gibraltar cover

The small boxed C.G. is CCSG H2

APPROVED. My daughter Jennifer, sometime ago, did two small articles on this for the Rock, (Gibraltar Study Circle) If I remember rightly the items were also addressed to the USA. I will try and dig them out for you.

Frank Schofield

Michael Dobbs

Thanks Chris

We had a small number of articles published around the time of the 50th Anniversary of the Korean War:

1. FPHS Newsletter 246 (Winter 2000) - 50th Anniversary of the Korean War: British & Commonwealth Involvement in the Korean Conflict: Part 1 - The Outbreak of War and Build-up of Commonwealth Forces by yours truely.  My apologies but I never got round to writing up Part 2 - too much pressure on my time.

2. FPHS Newsletter 250  (Winter 2001) A follow-up one page article by John Leathes on time time aboard the cruiser HMS Kenya in Korean waters

3. FPHS Newsletter 257 (Autumn 2003) a whole newsletter devoted to an article by Henri Smits "Postal Cooperation between Great Britain and Belgium during the Korean War"

Regretfully I don't have the time at present to compile another article, I'm part-way through three existing projects to write articles on more recent British Forces and BFPOs.  In addition I've got a number of other projects I'm working on, including trying to mount up material which has been slowly building up in my study!

Mike  :)

Peter Harvey

Hi Frank,

So are w confirming that the C.G. mark is actually Censor Gibraltar, or initials of a cnsor, would you know?? Updated by me, see th attachment CCSG Publication

Peter

[quote author=Frank Schofield link=topic=1372.msg6102#msg6102 date=1585297205]
Nick

Re Gibraltar cover

APPROVED. My daughter Jennifer, sometime ago, did two small articles on this for the Rock, (Gibraltar Study Circle) If I remember rightly the items were also addressed to the USA. I will try and dig them out for you.

Frank Schofield
[/quote]

Nick Colley

[quote author=Frank Schofield link=topic=1372.msg6102#msg6102 date=1585297205]
Nick

Re Gibraltar cover

Frank Schofield
[/quote]

Many thanks, Frank, much appreciated. DOes the CCSG have anything more informative to tell us about the C.G. mark?

chrs
N