• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Captain Kirke 1759

Started by Tony Walker, April 09, 2020, 11:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

Something a bit different

I saw this item a good few years ago, and thought it rather fun as early Star Trek episodes were on the TV, so bought it.  I found it again the other day.

It concerns granting the Power of Attorney for Samuel Carey in 1759, witnessed by James Kirke, the latter being the Commander of the ship America, built at Rotherhithe (Stanton & Co), commissioned 1757 - 58.

Accompanying this document are copied extracts from the National Maritime Museum giving the history of the ship - she participated in the Battle of Lagos for instance on August 18 and 19 in 1759 (Kirke in command) together with Intrepid, and destroyed the Ocean.

Kirke became a Lieutenant on January 19, 1743, Captain on 23 June 1748.  He finished as Commissioner for Victualling in 1777.  He died in October 1787.

I notice from posts that a number of members are interested in early military material, and would be happy to dispose of this if anyone is interested. (walker369@btinternet.com).  Forum wouldn't take it at 300dpi, so have dropped it to 200dpi - it seems OK

Cheers
Tony