• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Cover of the Day, 16th April

Started by Alan Baker, April 16, 2020, 10:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

I thought it was time to inflict more Portuguese material on you! Apologies to those waiting expectantly yesterday - too much painting!

These cards were presumably sent as part of an enclosure to Portugal in January 1918, as they do not bear any postmarks or address. They do follow on one from the other and I imagine were used so that the writer could send a greater message.

They both bear the censor mark "Censurado No 34" and the handwritten word "França" (France). I have this stamp recorded in use with CEP-SPC4, 1st Brigade, part of the Portuguese 1st Division. I have a later card sent by the same writer in September 1918, also bearing the same Censurado number.

The artist was an Italian by the name of Amadeo Simonetti, 1874 - 1922. His fashion images were used extensively on postcards during the war

The amazing thing is that I acquired the two cards quite separately from different sources

Alan Baker