• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Cover of the Day, 16th April

Started by Nick Colley, April 16, 2020, 10:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

I don't think this requires any commentary, except a reminder that the Arcadia Conference between the British and the Americans was held in Washington between 22nd December 1941 and January 14th 1942. Wikipedia tells me that it was at this conference that the 'Germany First' policy was adopted.

chrs
N

Peter Harvey

Nick,

It is truly amazing the covers that have ben show in the forum over the last few weeks, some real gems that members maybe would never have seen, unless the owners got round to displaying at society meetings. I wonder how a letter to Winston was liberated from American and came back to the UK and into your hands?

Peter

Chris Weddell

A little late but here is my cover of the day.

This cover was posted aboard HMS AMPHION a protected cruiser which was in Greece at the time and was posted to Ireland.

The back of ships stationery cover is dated with a Malahide (Ireland) dated receivers mark for January 14th 1894. After looking at the navy lists I found the cover was posted by the Ships staff Surgeon Gilbert Kirker M.D. to his wife.

Nick Colley

Pete, I recall the cover was already mounted on a display page when I acquired it, so I guess it must have been in an auction lot - ie not via a dealer. Damned if I can remember which auction, though  :-[

That doesn't address your speculation about how it came to be 'liberated'. I wonder if it contained a Christmas card, so Churchill's secretary would have opened it? Doesn't explain how it avoided the WPB, though..... Who knows.

chrs
N