• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

My Cover of the Day 23 April 2020 Colonel WJD Dundee

Started by Peter Harvey, April 23, 2020, 08:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Here is my cover of the day. As previous covers I was drawn to the name and started some research, the cover itself is dated 23 DE 15 with Base Army Post Office X used Salonika and sent to Peshawar NWFP India, with a part BAPO Z from Alexandria on reverse.

Colonel W.J.D Dundee born 1867 trained and qualified as an Engineer in England prior to travelling out in India as an officer with the Royal Engineers in 1894, so by time this letter was sent he was 48 years of age. I was surprised to note a year after this he appears again in the active list as a Colonel with the Royal Engineers at Arras seeing service on the Western Front.

During his time in India he was initially mentioned in despatches in 1898, providing significant support to troops patrolling the North West Frontier, in 1908 he shows up again, still in India engaged in operations against the Mohmands, he was promoted to Lt Col Assistant OC Royal Engineers in India serving with the Pershawar Infantry. In 1911 he was awarded the Delhi Durbar Medal and was then Knighted as Knight Commander of the Indian Empire KCIE.

He died in 1940 and in tribute was called one of the amazing men that formed the British Empire.

Chris Grimshaw

Very nice and certainly of interest.  A good cover.

Chris