• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

cover for the day

Started by Tony Walker, April 25, 2020, 09:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

Here's a hospital ship PC from WWI

Cancelled by Base Army Post Office Z on 26 April 16
Also good strike of the double oval H.M. HOSPITAL SHIP / LETITIA
Plus an ON ACTIVE SERVICE handstamp
A facsimile signature Charles Milne above the cachet Lieut. Colonel I.M.S. / Officer Commanding / H.M.Hospital Ship Letitia

Milne would appear to be writing to his daughter (say) in Doncaster

Milne was a Lt. Colonel with the Indian Medical Service, yet the Letitia carried wounded from Europe to Canada (5 trips) under the command of  the Royal Canadian Naval Medical Services, before being lost through a gross error of judgement by the pilot off Halifax, Nova Scotia on 1 August 1917.  One crew lost, drowned.

What was Milne doing here when he was apparently with the Indian Medical Services, and was he in command of the Letitia at this time?  I assume so.  Could find little about him on Google

Cheers
Tony

Alan Baker

According to Wiki, HMHS Letitia was active in the Med until 1917, when she was relocated to the Atlantic to ferry wounded Canadian troops back to Canada

As your card was posted in 1916, this would have predated this move

Chris Grimshaw

Team

Thoughts on this one,  I'm say he was in command of the Medical Services on board.  However a Naval Officer would have been in command of the vessel.

This is one I'm considering for the Journal.  Good material and short write up. 

Chris

Tony Walker

Happy for you to use it if nothing else available.  I'll email you a copy of my write up - can you then do a very brief description from this, suitable for your criteria?

Cheers
Tony