• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Military mail in OPD Halle after WW2

Started by Michael Dobbs, April 27, 2020, 12:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following enquiry via our website:

[color=maroon]For some years now, I have been collecting postal documents, which were abandoned in 1945/46 on the former German territory "Provinz Sachsen".

I am especially looking for Allied military mail in the OPD Halle (Provinz Sachsen).

I have only found very little literature on the military post.

In my internet search I came across your website www.forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk.

Perhaps you can help me yes or at least give hints.

Thus I seek literature (if possible in German translation) to the American, British and Soviet military post in Germany in the period 1945/46.

Are there any official reports on the deployment periods of individual APO's, FPO's and PPS's?

Do you have a contact person / collector on the subject of a British military post in Germany? I would be very happy if you could help me.[/color]

I have responded as follows:

[color=blue]I will place your enquiry on our members only discussion forum to see what it may generate.  If I do get any replies then I will pass them on to you.  However, I don't think we can help you very much.  I don't think there was any British FPO in OPD Halle as it is too far to the east – I am aware that American soldiers occupied Halle on 17 April 1945, but that In July the Americans withdrew and the city was occupied by the Russians.

There are no official reports, as far as I am aware, that deal with American, British or Soviet military postal services in Germany.  There are, of course, publications which list British or American military postmarks of World War 2 which may or may not mention Halle.

There is one publication which may be of assistance to you:

"Postwar Years of Germany 1945-48 Postal History" by Dr H F Stich and W Stich published by the authors in 1994
It contains some 16 pages of literature references, the majority of which are in German.

There is also an American society similar to our – the Military Postal History Society - http://www.militaryphs.org – who may be able to provide you with information on any American APOs which may have been established in Halle.[/color]

Does anyone know of any information which would be useful in relation to this enquiry please ?

Thanks, Mike  :)

Michael Dobbs

Further to the enquiry below the person has provided the following information:

[color=maroon]The territory of the province of Saxony was occupied by the Americans in mid-April 1945. At the beginning of June 1945, the Americans handed over the area of ​​the RPD Magdeburg (northern part of the province of Saxony) and the Eastern Harz to the British Libaration Army. On July 1, 1945, the area of ​​the RPD Magdeburg was then handed over to the Soviets. Due to the short occupation, the FPO existed only for a short time. The British Libaration Army's FPOs were only stationed in the larger towns and had to supply the troops in the near and far surroundings. According to the book History of British Army Postal Service, VOL III - 1927 - 1963, edited by Edward B. Proud, the Magdeburg Area was supplied by FPO 227.[/color]

He has also asked if anyone has a letter (cover) from (British) FPO 227 from about June 1 to July 1, 1945. He would be very happy to receive a scan of the front and back of the letter.

As it happens I have a cover from FPO 227 dated 22 MY 45 which I shall scan and send to him.

Thanks, Mike  :)