• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

COVERS OF THE DAY 5 MAY UNTAG

Started by Ross Debenham, May 05, 2020, 02:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I attach copies of 2 covers from Field Post Office 1, one philatelic and one definately not. How is it that the post marker from the "genuine" cover is so different from the philatelic cover. I believe that I have only ever seen one other copy of the "genuine" cover. Hope members can assist.

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Ross

A great pair.  The genuine cover is a cracker.

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Ross

Many thanks for showing the two covers - nice to see modern items (i.e. post-WW2, my main collecting/research area) and especially so from other Commonwealth nations.  Although not my collecting area (I concentrate on British FPOs) and so my UNTAG (United Nations Transition Assistance Group) contribution is from British FPO 940 - Operation Prosperous (BFPO 644).

UNTAG was established to ensure the early independence of Namibia and to supervise and control elections as part of that process.  The elections took place from 7-11 November 1989.  UNTAG was at its maximum deployment during that time.  Its strength was approximately 8,000 (2,000 civilians, 1,500 police and 4,500 military personnel).

Regarding your covers - I noticed two important distinctions: one has a postage stamp and the other hasn't, presumably official mail.  That with the postage stamp, obviously a philatelic cover, has the usual AUST FPO 1 datestamp whereas the other cover, official mail, has the post free datestamp.  To me that is the most important difference.  But two very good covers.

Mike  :)

Peter Harvey

Two nice covers Ross, good to see that you are busy with your collection in lockdown!

I would 100% agree with Mike. The cachet type boxed datestamp is official mail and cachets are often used to approve or authenticate free postage, you see a lot of this on UN mail. The philatelic items with the stamp, is cancelled correctly as you would expect.

Peter

Richard Berry

My contribution...

A self addressed envelope sent back to FPHS member George Crabb from the 30th Signals Regiment.

The Regiment sent 170 members to join the UNTAG Signal Squadron.
[Faint FPO 940]

Ross Debenham

Thanks gents, I had not seen any FPO 940 before. Just another one I have to look for on ebay.

Michael Dobbs

I have to thank you Ross!

In trying to look for my UNTAG cover I couldn't remember the FPO number so I went onto our Forum under "Draft Publication - Feedback Required" and searched UNTAG and came up with the number.  However, it also brought up:
FPO 1005  Sep 93  Cambodia BFPO 691 UNTAG

This couldn't be right - in fact it should be UNTA[u]C[/u] - United Nations Transitional Authority in Cambodia !

I have now corrected the master copy and will be going through and placing UN abbreviations in full!

Mike  ;)