• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Covers of the Day - 6th May - Canadian Forces in the Caribbean

Started by Alan Baker, May 06, 2020, 02:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

As everyone got so excited about my Canadian navy item, I thought I would give you a couple more Canadian items

These are covers from Canadian troops on garrison duties in British colonies in the Caribbean. The first is from Y Force Jamaica, sent in 1944, with Censor No 316. The sender was serving with the Brockville Rifles, who formed the garrison from August 1944 - February 1946.

The second is from N Force Bahamas with Censor No 304. A company of the Pictou Highlanders formed the garrison from 1943 - 1946.

Peter Harvey

Alan Baker

Chris Grimshaw

Is there any significance of the "Roundels" on cover two?

Chris

Alan Baker

Not that I know, unless anyone can enlighten me. Similarly the diamonds on the first

Chris Grimshaw

Diamonds on cover one, I associated straight away with Air Mail,

Do the Roundels signify a RAF printing or issue?

Chris

Alan Baker

Possibly, but the cover was from a soldier with the Canadian army

Michael Dobbs

My own view is that they are ordinary air mail envelopes - different printers just having come up with a different style to that usually seen.  I don't think there are any "rules or regulations" on the size, colour or design for air mail envelopes - unless someone tells me otherwise!

Mike  :)

Tony Walker

Alan - I was interested to see the Caribbean mentioned on the Forum - not often happens.

I have a Turks and Caicos collection and have a few censored covers from WWII which could be censored in Jamaica, the US or the UK, but they are not military.  Do you have any military covers from the T&CIls?

I have never seen anything military and/or censored from these islands from WWI...?

Tony

Alan Baker

I see from wiki that the RCN and RCAF both had bases at Sandy Point (HMCS and RCAF Shelburne respectively) but I don't think I have ever seen covers from there. I'm pretty sure I don't have any, although I do have some from other Caribbean islands, both Canadian and US