• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Cover the Day 13 May 2020 - Russia POW WW1 Help?

Started by Peter Harvey, May 13, 2020, 06:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

I have never been great with Russian material, especially from WW1 some would welcome any help with the attached card. I will put my 'hands up' and admit that i am a dealer....... but then most members will know that.

16 Dec 15 card I think from Vyatka (Viatka) Prisoner of War Mail and I initially thought posted to Christiania in Norway... but I don't think that is the case. Military censor No 43 - that is all I know.

Any help welcome?

(By the way I have a bundle of these queries)

Peter

Howard Weinert

Peter,

I am happy to help with any Russian material. This card was written, postmarked and censored in Vyatka. The rectangular censor mark reads, Examined by military censorship in Vyatka, militry censor No. 43. The prisoner is a civil prisoner, not a military man. At the start of the war, many German civilians were rounded up and put into camps, one of which was in Vyatka. Civil prisoners had to pay postage. The card is addressed to Christiania (Oslo), Norway. The sender thanks the addressee for his message and mentions that another German is not in Vyatka, but rather in Soligalich, Kostroma province.

Peter Harvey

Hi Howard,

That is great thank you; I think I was part way there but need to exert, your help is appreciated.

I will find those other Russian items in the next week or so.

Kind regards Peter