• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

COVER OF THE DAY 14 MAY - S.O. NANYUKI KENYA

Started by Ross Debenham, May 14, 2020, 01:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I attach a scan of an air mail cover post marked S O NANYUKI on 3 February, 1952 to Melbourne, Australia. The book on Kenyan post marks states that this post marker may have been used at the army base near the town. I take it that the S.O. denotes sub-office. I note from google today that British forces are still based there. Can any member enlighten me as to whether the post marker was actually in use at the army base.

Alan Baker

Can't answer your question but I note the date, which is three days before Princess Elizabeth, who was at the time at Treetops, not far from Nanyuki, became Queen on the death of her father King George VI.

Any significance?

Michael Dobbs

Ross - like Alan I can't answer your question but I hope I can provide some useful information.  I don't know whether there was a civil post office at the army camp at Nanyuki but I do know that it was the location for something called HQ Northern Area.

In a letter from HQ East Africa Command dated 20 August 1951, HQ Northern Area was ordered to take over responsibility for Mombasa Garrison no later than 1 November 1951.  At the same time it was also ordered to take over command of Nairobi Sub-Area no later than 15 March 1952.  In readiness to take over Nairobi Sub-Area, HQ Northern Area moved to Nairobi in March 1952.  It closed at Nanyuki on 12 March, re-opened at Nairobi next day and took over the Sub-Area on 25 March 1952.  By the end of the year HQ Northern Area had become HQ Northern Brigade.

I am also aware that units at Nanyuki were allocated PO Box numbers as follows:

In 1950 the Post Office Box numbers for units at Nanyuki were re-allotted as shown below:
(East Africa Command General Routine Order 195/50 dated 30 September 1950)

PO Box 1000 The (East Africa) Independent Armoured Car Squadron
PO Box 1001 156 (East Africa) Independent Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery EAA
[EAC GRO 184/50 dated 7 September 1950 had already altered the PO Box number from PO Box 1007 Nanyuki to PO Box 1001 Nanyuki]
PO Box 1002 Deputy Commander Royal Engineers Nanyuki
PO Box 1003 3rd (Kenya) Battalion, The King's African Rifles
PO Box 1004 4th (Uganda) Battalion, The King's African Rifles
PO Box 1005 Northern Area Signal Troop
PO Box 1006 70 Supply Depot EAASC
PO Box 1007 Officer-in-Charge Barracks
PO Box 1008 Station Workshops Nanyuki EAEME
PO Box 1009 'B' Platoon, 52 (General Transport) Company
PO Box 1010 HQ Northern Area
PO Box 1011 Station Hospital Nanyuki

Forces mail from Kenya to UK had to have the unit datestamp applied for entitlement to concessionary rates of postage - whether such rates existed for Australia I don't know.  In fact is the cover you are showing forces-related in any way (other than it being posted at a post office in an army camp, if it existed there)?

I would need to undertake further research at The National Archives once it re-opens and we are allowed to travel there to look through relevant quarterly historical reports by units at Nanyuki (if they exist) to see if there is any mention of a post office at the camp.  I also want to try and find out more about the camp.

Mike  :)

Michael Dobbs

Ross

I should have added - you mention "The book on Kenyan post marks", can you provide details of the book please.

Thanks, Mike

Nick Guy

Ross

One other query - I think I was told many years ago by one of my fellow EASC members that Nanyuki SO was Station Office, not Sub-Office - but whether they were offering a possibility rather than a definite view (if my recollection is accurate) I am not sure, and in any case some were/are inclined to offer as fact speculations based on tenuous evidence.  "Station Office" in this context does not necessarily refer to the railway station in this context, of course.

Nick Guy

Ross Debenham

Thanks all, I'll get back to you Mike with that book title when I find it.

Ross Debenham

Mike, the book is "Cancellations of Kenya 1890-1963", by the East African Study Circle. I have attached a copy of the entry in the book.

Nick Guy

Hello Ross

I'm working on the next EASC Bulletin at the moment and will put a query about Nanyuki SO and see if I can get anything further on Nanyuki SO if you're happy with that (I'd like to know too!).  Michael Ensor sadly is no longer with us but I believe Mike Mackin, who was his co-author on that section is and there are still members left who were out there before independence so we might get something.

Nick

Michael Dobbs

Nick

I am also interested!

I have two NANYUKI S O postmarks on Forces mail - dated 6 DE 1952 and 11 OC 1955.

If its useful and relevant, feel free to use any of the information I have provided.

Mike  :)

Nick Guy

Mike

My holding is four covers of the two (SO before or after Nanyuki) postmarks - three are forces air mail, duly handstamped by the "unit" - in one case it's the Army Children's School -  and the last is a postcard apparently despatched as ordinary mail but announcing the change of (civilian) address of Sir Douglas Harris and Lt-Col & Mrs W A B Harris.

Nick

Ross Debenham

thanks for the information gentlemen. The more information I get the better.