• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Query ARMY COURIER OFFICE S5 1920

Started by Michael Dobbs, May 20, 2020, 10:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following query from a colleague in the Britih Postmark Society, who in turn has received it via their website:

[color=maroon]Yet another query via the BPS website!  This one concerns the Army Courier Office datestamp shown on the attached scan, sent by a Brian Quist.  A Google search brought up few references, but one was a report on a FPHS meeting in October 2007, which mentioned the use of this cds S5 on correspondence sent during the 1920-21 post-WW1 plebiscites in areas like Saar and Schleswig-Holstein.  A Delcampe auction illustration showed the same cds on at least one of three 1920-21 covers from the Inter-Allied Aeronautical Commission of Control.

So it seems pretty clear when and roughly where Mr Quist's cover originated, but his (and my) question would be about what the ACO actually was, and how did it differ from the FPO (later REPS/DLO) system?  The name implies that it was a network inside the Army organisation, for official correspondence, but Mr Quist's cover was to a civilian address in the UK. Do FHPS sources have any other information on the ACO?[/color]

I have made an initial response as follows:

[color=blue]However, I can say from looking through "The Postal History of the British Army in World War I 1903-1929", by Alistair Kennedy and George Crabb, published FPHS 1977 it is listed under GERMANY  - the ARMY COURIER OFFICE / S.5 datestamp is listed as K&C Type C9 used between May 1920 and May 1921 as being in Berlin, with a note "Reported to have opened 22/12/19, may have used APO S5 (Type D1) at first"

In the index there is an entry for ARMY POST OFFICE S5 (Type C1) issued 12 March 1920 in Germany but no period of use and it is not shown under Germany
Still in the index under "Miscellaneous Postmarks" there is listed ARMY COURIER OFFICE / S5 (Type C9) issued 13 April 1920 and used in Berlin as listed above.

Type C datestamps are circular (single ring) and Type D datestamps are double ring.[/color]

[color=blue]There is no explanation as to why it is inscribed ARMY COURIER SERVICE.  I have looked at the meeting report you mention and I feel you may have min-interpreted the note - it states "Mike Goodman showed a small number of covers and cards from the British Army on the Rhine, including a number of Army Courier Office S5 marks" with no specific mention of Plebiscite areas -
that comes further on when noting S64, S120 and H20.

By placing it on our Forum I am hoping that one of our members will have a copy of the limited edition Proud revised edition which was, I think, published shortly before his death, to see if it contains any further information.  Alistair Kennedy did provide updates for that publication.[/color]

So two questions please:

1. Does anyone know why ARMY COURIER OFFICE S5 and not ARMY POST OFFICE?

2. Does anyoine have a copy of Proud revised edition and what does that say about ARMY COURIER OFFICE S5

Thanks, Mike  :)

Frank Schofield

Mike

In Proud's revised edition, he lists this as his type D8, sent out on 13 April 1920, he records it in use for nearly a year from 16th May 1920 until
9th May 1921

Frank

Alan Baker

Interesting that this query has originated from an ex-member

Michael Dobbs

Frank - Many thanks for that - no change from K&C other than days quoted rather than just months; does he state the location - is it the same as K&C, i.e. Berlin?

Alan - now you mention it, yes it is interesting.  As a member he could have raised the issue as a query for our Jounral or on this Forum.

Mike  :)

Frank Schofield

Mike

Yes. BERLIN COURIER OFFICE, 22nd Dec 19 until (9th May 21) then to APO S40-B (6th Jan 23 to 6th Oct 26} still in Berlin
The dates in brackets can probably be extended

Frank

Peter Harvey

Here is a further copy with the Inter-Allied Aeronautical Commission, again coded A, a month later in September 1920