• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Cover of the Day 15th May - Portuguese Expedition to Mozambique

Started by Alan Baker, May 15, 2020, 12:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

Here is a card for our East African aficianados.

It is from the Portuguese Army in Mozambique in 1916. It was written on 12th March and franked n the 22nd. This is a matter of weeks after Germany declared war on Portugal, although Portuguese troops had been involved in action against German forces in East Africa since 1914

Marc Parren

Dear Alan,

Indeed a very nice postcard especially since Germany declared war to Portugal on 9 March. Your viewcard was written in Porto Amélia current Pemba in the north of Mozambique. I can show here another viewcard posted in August 1916 in Palma a town on the Indian Ocean coast of Mozambique, lying just south of the border with Tanzania.

Marc 

Alan Baker

Marc

Good to hear from you and to see your card. I haven't seen many - mostly in the possession of the Barreros brothers, who displayed at Stockholmia

Chris Grimshaw

Alan /Marc

Two very nice cards,  If between you, you can put something together on this subject for the Journal something I'd be interested in publishing.

If necessary I can "copy and paste" what has been shown.  Trying to bring forth as wide a range of material as possible.

Chris