• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

My Cover for the 18th May Ex Swarbrick Collection

Started by Chris Grimshaw, May 18, 2020, 03:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

I was fortunate to be able to pick up some of Bob's material when it went to auction.

A little different today but staying in the Eastern Med.

A page ex Bob Swarbrick awaiting re-mounting.

Pencil note states " Unknown but ship probably operating off Dardanelles in the Med.  Only place aircraft were used against surface vessels, usually from Turkey."

"Possibly HMS ERIN?"  Message states "Our Marines keeping off an aircraft"

Comments from our Naval Experts please.

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

NOT HMS Erin (Battleship ex Turkish) she was with the Grand Fleet all WW! (Jan 1915 4th BS, Jan 1916 2nd BS)
The censor mark is Gould 4E3 in Vol 2 he thinks it is HMS Hannibal (Ex Battleship, disarmed early 1915. Used as a troopship to  Dardanelles arriving Mundros Oct 1915, Depot ship Alexandria Nov 1915)
Would she still have her Royal Marines on board???

Hope of some use

Frank Schofield

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Frank.

One further observation, the Mute cancel,  is this usual or likely on mails from the Med?

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

Had reason to consult Gould Vol 1 today for another censor, and found I had a pencil note against Gould 4E3 as the cruiser HMS Devonshire. I only make these notes if I think I have identified the ship (not guaranteed of course). I have also  found 3 other different mute crosses all named items from the Devonshire but with other censors.

She served with the Grand Fleet then North Sea Patrols. No record of her being in the Med

But she would have had Royal Marines on board,

Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Frank

Thanks for all your help.

Will write up as HMS  Devonshire. 

Many, many years ago served on a SS Devonshire, New Zealand Shipping Co

Chris

Nick Colley

You may find

https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-05-HMS_Devonshire.htm

of passing interest. No sign of HMS Devonshire going anywhere near the Med between at least June 1916 and June 1919.

Also, that dumb postmark looks similar to DB83, which Gould associates with the Firth of Forth.

chrs
N