• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Cover of the Day, 1st June - Matelot Radio

Started by Alan Baker, June 01, 2020, 10:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

This censored cover was franked on 7th May 1942 addressed to USA. It bears a Canadian 7c airmail stamp and the postmark has its details blacked out.

The reverse gives the name of the sender, Rene Prouff and his address as "Matelot Radio, Free French. Halifax". It is likely that "Matelot Radio" was his rank in the Free French navy, as I have found other references to this form of address, but if it was actually a radio set up, I have been unable so far to find any information about this and would welcome any views.

Marc Parren

Matelot Radio implies that he was a radio operator and sailor so one of the lowest ranks in the French Navy

Alan Baker

Marc Parren

Can you decipher what is written under the censor resealing label? I only see a number but it seems there is more underneath

Alan Baker

Just an address I'm afraid. 155 Hollist Street (sic). Hollis Street runs along the waterfront in Halifax.