• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Postcard of the day 9th June Austrian POW's in Russian POW Camp?????

Started by Chris Weddell, June 09, 2020, 10:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

This is my postcard and also query of the day.

This card interests me due to I think it is of Austrian POW's in a Russian POW camp. Can anyone help with the Russian censor marks. The Austrian censor mark I associate with POW mail.   

Howard Weinert

Chris,

The Russian marks are:

Rectangular "POW Mail"

Circular "Military Censor No. 7 Omsk." In the center is D. Ts., abbreviation for Passed by Censorship, along with the censor's initials, O. B.

The Czech pencil inscription at lower left says "3 Czech POWs in Ust-Kamenogorsk on the Ob River." I can't decipher the last two words.

A small number of POWs were lodged in Ust-Kamenogorsk in the province of Semipalatinsk. Mail from there would be censored in Omsk on its way west.

Chris Weddell

Howard,

Thank you for this. This is not normally what I collect but it may be an area I will look into!!

Chris Grimshaw

Chris

Nice Item

Howard, You'll be becoming our "resident expert" on these items.  Thank you , You bring such material to life.

Chris

Howard Weinert