• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

My Cover for the Day 19th June, Improvised Card from Anzac May 1915

Started by Chris Grimshaw, June 19, 2020, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

My offering for today is an Improvised card from Anzac. A single sheet of note paper from an exercise book which has been pasted over card from a ration or ammunition box.

Very poor cancel 1st Aust Div Field Post Office, date unclear.  Card is datelined 18 5 15 Son (Walter) writing to Father "Dear Pop" I believe.

Addressed to a Mr Anderson, Napier, New Zealand.  Endorsed on reverse "Passed By Censor 2256  signature unreadable.  If this No 2256 represents a Censor Hand-stamp from the Type 2 series it's un-allocated.  However its the last number in a Block from 2199 to 2255 allocated to Anzac units. 2257 starts the allocation for 29th Division.

Good message "The only objection I have to the place is the amount of Shrapnel & bullets that are flying about which helps to make things very exciting at times."

Many of the men when landing had discarded their packs ans therefore writing materials were very scarce.

Chris

Alan Baker

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Alan

Two scans attached on first post, second shows message on reverse.

Chris

Alan Baker